Durable Design and Proven Results: The Best PTO Fit For Your Allison 1000/2000 RDS Transmission
Allison 1000/2000 Rugged Duty Series (RDS) transmissions are designed to deliver reliability and durability. Pairing a Muncie Power Products power take-off (PTO) with an Allison 1000/2000 RDS transmission means getting more work done in a timely efficient manner—giving you less down time and lower production costs.
The Allison 1000/2000 RDS are automatic transmissions that are best suited for any truck that operates on/off highway and/or requires PTO operation. The max gross vehicle weight (GVW) will be between 19,500 lbs.–30,000 lbs. or Class 5–7 trucks. That means any vocational truck application in that truck class will most likely have a PTO option. The amount of unique applications we see with an Allison 1000/2000 RDS and our PTOs are vast. We continue to see new and innovative ways to utilize the performance of the transmission. Most importantly, our PTOs work well to ensure your work is done the way you want.
Muncie Power offers three unique PTOs for applications utilizing these transmissions. The majority of PTO powered applications will utilize either our mechanical shift TG6 Series PTO or our clutch shift CS6 Series PTO. On rare occasions, our FA6B Series PTO may be used on these transmissions, but it is uncommon.
Our PTOs will work on both sides of the transmission and have a 6-bolt pattern. Along with the standard Rugged Duty Series, we also have PTOs for the 4500 HD, 5500 HD, 6500 HD, and International CV Series. Further, if you have a Hino chassis model year 2015 and later that has an Allison 2000 RDS, our CS6 Series will work.
Below, we will summarize the two most often used PTOs—the CS6 Series and TG6 Series—and help identify which one may be the better fit for your application.
By volume, one of our most popular series in the industry, the CS6 Series is designed to work well on Allison 1000/2000 RDS transmissions.
- The CS6 Series is a clutch shift PTO with a patented drag brake and a max intermittent torque rating of 300 lbs. ft. for these transmissions.
- This series works well with applications such as dump beds, utility cranes, refuse trucks, and snow plows. It is also better utilized for applications with high torque and/or high horsepower.
- Internal pressure lubrication is standard for the CS6 Series on the Allison 1000/2000 RDS transmissions. The CS6 Series utilizes transmission pressure to keep constant gear lubrications, helping to extend the life of the PTO. In the special features code of the PTO model number, order the P option (meaning pressure lubrication). This is required for all CS6 Series PTOs on the Allison 1000/2000 RDS transmissions.
- This series offers rotatable direct mount flanges that allow direct mount pumps to be positioned for maximum clearance.
- The CS6 Series PTO offers four speed ratio options ranging from 82 to 149 percent of the engine speed.
- This PTO has seven unique shift options, with the most widely used being electric/hydraulic.
- The CS6 Series has an integral solenoid designed specifically for automatic transmission, allowing for easy install. When ordering the CS6 Series PTO for these transmissions, in the PTO model number, make sure you select the S shift option that will give you the integral drop-in solenoid.
When ordering the CS6 Series PTO for these transmissions, you will always use the A67 input gear code option in the PTO model number.
Part number example: CS6B-A67**-***P
If you are looking for a PTO that is suited for mechanical applications such as product pumps, vacuum pumps, or blowers, then the TG6 Series is a good fit.
- The TG6 Series is a mechanical shift PTO with a max intermittent torque rating of 250 lbs. ft. for these transmissions.
- This PTO is effective when an air source is not available on a truck and/or you prefer to have a cable shift engagement option.
- This series is also suitable for applications where the truck is not mobile.
- It offers four speed ratio options ranging from 77 to 154 percent of the engine speed.
- This PTO has five different shift options that are specifically designed for the Allison 1000/2000 RDS transmissions. The TG6 Series PTO has unique shift code designators because this series required a special non-standard shift cover.
- This series also has a die-cast aluminum housing that reduces weight and noise.
- Pressure lubrication is not required on the TG6 Series for these transmissions.
When ordering the TG6 Series PTO for these transmissions you will always use the A69 input gear code option in the model number.
Part number example: TG6B-A69**-****
As it is important to spec out the right automatic transmission for your application, it is just as crucial to get the right PTO that fits your needs. Having the best transmission and PTO combination will not only improve vehicle performance, it will also ensure that you get the most out of your application.
Let’s see which PTO is the best fit for your Allison 1000/2000 RDS.